Monday, October 18, 2010

Jerry needs to step down as GM after the season

Let me first start of by saying that Jerry is a great owner. There is absolutely nobody I'd rather have to get the brand out there. He has his team playing in the best venue the world has ever seen. The Cowboys are the 2nd most valuable sports franchises in the world behind Manchester United, the English Premier League soccer team and that wasn't always the case. He's a great business man and makes great business decisions.


But as a GM, my dog could make better football decisions half the time and I don't even have a dog. It's that bad. He simply isn't qualified in making the important decision and he makes all of them. He makes the decisions on who the team signs(Mike Vanderjagt), releases(Nick Folk(13-15 this year), drafts and where they pick in the draft(see the 2009 draft), who they give contract extensions too(Roy Williams and Ken Hamlin). He even goes as far as giving post-game speeches and determines where training camp is played(Oxnard, San Antonio and Dallas this year. They travel as much as the shrine circus and probably play football as well too). I understand this is all in hindsight and hindsight is always 20/20 and honestly, I didn't disagree with several of his decisions, but then again I'm not GM/Owner of anything besides my 4-2 fantasy team.

I don't blame him for wanting to be involved at all. The Cowboys are his. If I was the owner, I know I'd want to be in everything too, assuming I knew what I was doing. Jerry claims that winning is of the most importance to him and I believe him 100%. But like the team, he needs to look in the mirror and determine if he's doing everything he can to be successful and he's not.

The sad thing for this franchise is, I doubt he'll ever step down and when he does, he'll be handing over the reins to his son Stephen Jones. I'm not sure it's realistic that he could do much better than Jerry does. Another thing is, I doubt we could ever really have a successful coach here.  Because Jerry wont let the guy do his thing without being heavily involved. 

Sure the Cowboys will wins games, but honestly, a Super Bowl is not within reach and I don't see that changing.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. He's a good owner, horrible GM & his son won't be any better maybe worse if that's possible. I wish he'd realize that Jason Garrett isn't the future coach after Wade Phillips...he shouldn't even have the coordinator job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Jason Garrett really only had one "good" year as a coordinator and that was his first year with the Cowboys. Tony Sparano was essentially the co-offensive Coordinator. You have to wonder how much of the offenses success in the 2007 was because of Sparano.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah after he left it went to crap pretty much...I don't see what Jerry Jones sees in him, and to make him the next head coach (according to Jones).

    ReplyDelete